Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling Skills
Applications are now OPEN for our Certificate Course, starting in September 2024
Applications for our Certificate courses, run on Tuesday and Thursday evenings are now open. Click to see the Certificate Information & Application Guidance
You can also download our Certificate Application Form
About our Certificate Course
This foundation training in skills and theory is intended for those whose work or voluntary activities involve, or could benefit from basic counselling skills. Nurses, health visitors, doctors, surgery staff, teachers, clergy, social workers, police officers, probation officers and many others can benefit from this foundation course.
The Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling forms the foundation for the Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (BACP accredited).
Our 2024/2025 Certificate courses will run on a Monday daytime (10.30AM to 2PM), Tuesday evening (6.00 to 9.15pm) or Thursday evening (6.30 pm to 9.45 pm), over an academic year, divided into three terms.
Numbers are limited to 10 students for each group. This training also involves three compulsory Saturday workshops.
Topics covered include:
- The nature of counselling and the client/counsellor relationship
- Identification and development of counselling skills
- Levels of counselling and alternative models
- Patterns and theory of human growth and development
- Attachment and loss
- Psychological stress and mechanisms of defence
- Human psychological growth and development and how this influences relationships and behaviours
- Using counselling skills in bereavement and loss
- Impact of serious/terminal illness on individuals and family