Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling Skills
Update June 2021: Applications for Sept. 2021 will now be received onto our waiting list; we will contact you if we are able to proceed with your application
This basic training in skills and theory is intended for those whose work or voluntary activities involve basic counselling skills. Nurses, health visitors, doctors, surgery staff, teachers, clergy, social workers, police officers, probation officers and many others can benefit from this foundation course.
The Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling forms the foundation for the Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (BACP accredited).
Our 2021 Certificate courses will run on a Tuesday or Thursday evening, 6.30 pm to 9.45 pm, over 32 weeks of the year divided into three terms. Numbers are limited for each group.
The training also involves three Saturday workshops.
Topics covered include:
- Nature of counselling and the client/counsellor relationship
- Identification and development of counselling skills
- Levels of counselling and alternative models
- Patterns of human growth and development
- Attachment and loss
- Psychological stress and mechanisms of defence
- Human psychological growth and development and how this influences relationships and behaviours
- Using counselling skills in bereavement and loss
- Impact of serious/terminal illness on individuals and family